Sunday, March 8, 2015

Let's think about "On Looking"

I've been putting this writing off for way too long, I finish this now.

The reason I've been putting this off is because I'm not sure what to talk about here. Its a very interesting read, but it doesn't leave me with much to "think about", well, except for "how do i see the world?" and "How else can i look at it?". That's fine, it's what it's meant to do, everyone that reads it starts wondering this. As interesting as this might be to one self it's just weird to share this with others, without having something concrete to look at together and seeing the differences.

This being said, it did remind me of something very much alike, that portrays a similar message, this one not about looking at stuff differently depending on your past, who you are and what you are doing (which is the main topic in "On Looking: Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes by Alexandra Horowitz") and more about how we see everything but we're not observing everything.What it reminded me of was of a TEDTalk, where Apollo Robins, known as the best pitpocket in the world talks about misdirection.

The best example of how we don't see everything i can use from this show is this:

You have a phone on you, right?  Probably a smart phone (if not, keep reading, or watch the video at the end).
You probably use this every day, so without looking at it, tell me, tell yourself, think: What app/icon is at the bottom right corner of your phone?

Can you remember? Go check.

If you know 100% that that is what is there, check anyways, you might be surprised, tell me in the comments if you were right, lets do a little experiment.

The best example of how we don't see everything i can use from this show is this: Now, that you've checked, put your phone away...

"You missed that." was the first sentence in "On Looking" and it's perfect.   I can't say for certain that you did, but there's a high probability that you did.
You just looked on your phone, and every phone has the same thing, no matter which one, so now tell me...

 What time is it?

When i first saw this in the TED Talk it made me want to try to look at everything with more detail, not be misdirected, and this is the feeling that I kinda felt while reading "On looking" curiosity.

Final thoughts: "On looking" is good read, but i feel it would have impacted me more if i hadn't gone through something similar as the author. This is strange because sometimes being close to what they're trying to show is better but in this case I just felt like it didn't have much of an impact, but remembering that I looked at things different than others and sharing this with others is the best, and it's making us think about looking, so its fulfilling its purpose.

4 comments:

  1. So I did your experiment... Yeah, I have no clue what's on my phone. I guess it was my Google Keep (note taker) app & it was actually Instavram. When saw I Instagram I was a bit schocked because I expected Keep to be there 100%. So what does my result mean to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really about what does it mean to me, It's more about what does this mean to you?it doesn't really matter if you knew or not, but it showed you that we go through our day and maybe dont pay attention to details. In the video they show how they could use this to rob you but it's also the same principle for magic, misdirection, being focused on something and not everything, and really it's not bad, just to make people think.

      Delete
  2. I tried really hard remember the icon at the bottom right corner of my phone. I couldn't... I thought it might have "settings," but it's actually "apps." It's a good experiment in putting things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did your experiment, and I guessed it right but only because Safari is probably the app I use the most... Still, if you had asked me to look in the top right corner I probably wouldn't have guessed it. Sadly, I didn't have a chance to see the TED talk at the time of this writing, but it sounds very interesting so I'll make sure to watch it soon.

    ReplyDelete